Mental strength is key for golfers

Fatigue on course challenges mental aspects of game

Junior Davis Chan drives the ball during a match against Beech Grove on April 13. Chan had a score of 42 which is six above par.

Madeline Steward

Justin Chambers, Reporter

Wind, grass, weather conditions and the different ways a course moves all seem like things a regular person would think about, but for a golfer, these factors go through their head multiple times a hole, according to boys golf coach Donald Manning.

“It is really mentally tough because you can’t let one bad hole get you down,” junior golfer Bryan Fox said.

Fox says that not having a great hole can mess with your mind sometimes because it is normal for a person to get mad at small mistakes they make. With there being 18 holes on a golf course if you mess up and get down on yourself it may impact your score on the other 17 holes.

“To be competitive you have to be thinking about the wind conditions, ground conditions, temperature, etc,” Manning said.” All of these things have an effect on how the ball will travel and where you will place it at.”

Being a competitive golfer is not easy, according to Manning. Golf can be very tiring and that sometimes can make you lose focus, but to be competitive they can’t get tired and have to persevere. To top it all off a regular length golf match takes around five hours so carrying a heavy bag full of clubs can add up.

“Golf is really tough because there is a lot of shots and you need to know how to hit them and when to hit them,” Fox said.

Fox also said that being a golfer is tough physically because sometimes you get tired and it is hard to focus when you are tired. In high school golfers don’t get a caddy to carry their clubs for them they have to carry the clubs themselves so that also adds to their tiredness.

“People that haven’t played golf think it is easy, anyone who has played quickly realizes how difficult it is,” Manning said. “I am talking about actually playing golf on the course and doing all the mental aspects as well as the physical