Cards improve but fall to Shamrocks

Sophomore+Lamarco+Yates+runs+the+ball+down+the+field.+Yates+ran+a+total+of+45+yards+and+averaged+4.1+yards+per+carry.+

Madelyn Knight

Sophomore Lamarco Yates runs the ball down the field. Yates ran a total of 45 yards and averaged 4.1 yards per carry.

Logan Zrebiec and Michael Long, Reporter and Sports Editor

Last season, Southport was blown out 27-0 by Westfield, who went on to win the 5A state championship. On Friday, the Cards held their own against the Shamrocks until the second half, when Westfield took control of the game and went on to win 21-14.

SHS head football coach, Brandon Winters, believes the team was more prepared for the Rocks this year than they were last year.

“They did some things to us last year that we didn’t expect,” Winters said. “We were a little more prepared for those this year.”

The Cards readiness was apparent in the first half of the game.

It was defensive efforts from senior Gabe Collins-Green that helped the Cards. He recovered a tipped ball off of a punt and had an interception.

Offensively, junior quarterback Eddie Schott threw for two first-half touchdowns, both to junior Rashawn Haskins who finished the game with 11 catches and 135 yards.

Despite these efforts, Westfield still dominated the second half as they outscored the Cards 21-0. The key to Westfield’s comeback was their running game. In total, the Rocks ran for 157 yards.

“We didn’t come out and finish in the second half…” senior Gage Higgs said. “We got too comfortable.”

Southport fell to 0-2 and will take on PMHS next Friday at the newly built Falcon Stadium.