The run for their lives

At age 15, one SHS student risked everything to get across the U.S. border. The trip took him one month, but finally, he and his family made it across.

“She just wanted to have a better life for us,” SHS senior Jack said.

For many migrant families, like Jack, the want for a better life and better opportunities is a key reason for the move to the U.S.

Problems with both the economy and the government in students’ home countries, along with wanting a better life in general, has been part of the cause of the rise in migrants s from Central America to the U.S.   

The country of Honduras, Jack’s home country, has faced many issues with government and economy instability after the 2009 coup d’ètat which was when the Honduran Army overthrew the president, Manuel Zelaya, and sent him into exile. Since then, both corruption and violence have taken over the streets of Honduras.

According to the Overseas Security Advisory Council, in Honduras, the murder rate has decreased from 86.5 per 100,000 people in 2011 to 59 per 100,000 people in 2016. Although the murder rate has decreased in recent years, it still remains one of the highest murder rates in the world.  Problems like this have caused Hondurans to search for a better life.

Jack’s search started when his mom wanted to be independent and have a better life for the two. His journey took only about a month, but involved multiple forms of transportation.

“I took a lot of buses, even cars, motorcycles, and even a boat to cross the border of the U.S.,” Jack said.

Other students at SHS have stories similar to Jack’s. They are not coming just from Honduras, but from Mexico as well. These students also are searching for a better life and better opportunities.

“We had problems with the economy,” SHS senior Jill said, “my mom is a single mother. She had trouble in her work and job and we didn’t have someone who could help us.”

Jill had family in the U.S. that was able to help her and her mother. Jill’s journey involved applying for a passport and visa, which she received within two to three months.

While Jack’s and Jill’s stories are different, each were searching to find a better life.  Some find that they really enjoy living in the U.S. According to the Migration Policy Institute, 80% of immigrants say that the U.S. is a “unique country that stands for something special in the world.” Both Jack and Jill have found living in the U.S. to be just that, and that it had beneficial to both them and their families.

“(Living in the U.S.) has been pretty good because we have more opportunities,” Jill said.