Our generation has become addicted to technology

Zing Vang, Reporter

Technology has impacted almost every aspect of our lives in this generation and many fear that this digital way of  life can be dangerously addictive.

Staring down at the phone for the greater part of the day can’t be good for anyone.

Sophomore Madisyn Young really loves her laptop and smartphone so much that sometimes she chooses to spend time on technology rather than going out with others. She says her grandma and her mom often complain about the amount of time she spent using technology.

“My mom told me that she was raised and taught to socialize, not to stay on the laptop and smartphone all day,” Young said. “But in this day and age, when my friends and I get together, we end up spending as much time on our phones as we do socializing.”

Young says that she’s addicted to her smartphone, which has caused a distraction from many aspects of her life, including school, work and the people she loves.

“By turning the attention away from my smartphone, and reminding myself that my smartphone is not as important as my education and my family,” Young said. “Perhaps, I could share my real time with them.”

According to Ms. Tara Foor, electronic devices may help multiple generations, but only if they know how to use it properly.

According to Foor, people behave differently on technology versus face-to-face conversations with people.

“If you are losing precious sleep over your addiction,” Foor said. “Try to power off your phone an hour before bed time to ensure that your last hour is spent in a meaningful way, and so you can start the next day afresh.”

According to Foor, it is certain that the ways humans are interacting with each other are changing. She says that they just feel connected to the rest of the world with their technology and says they should try to avoid confrontations.