Does time difference affect students’ AP scores

Joseph+Horvath+works+during+his+prep+period+on+Thursday%2C+May+12.+

Dionth Salas

Joseph Horvath works during his prep period on Thursday, May 12.

Dioneth Salas, Reporter

Regular class times and AP test times don’t always correlate, taking an AP test in the morning when classes for that subject are usually in the afternoon, or vice versa, may affect the student. English teacher Josef Horvath, says that it all really just depends on how the student taking the test reacts to the time difference and surroundings. He says that since there are differences between first and second period classes in terms of how they run, it can be assumed that most students would like to take an AP test in the afternoon, but that any differences that can be seen between morning and afternoon testing will depend more on an individual basis.

“I maybe wouldn’t change the time in terms of afternoon and morning (if changing the AP test time were possible), but definitely, eight o’clock is definitely kind of early. I might push it back to like nine o’clock, nine to noon sounds (perfect),” Horvath said. “(By that time), you’ve woken up, you’ve had your coffee or whatever you have and you’re able to think a little bit easier.”

Of course teachers’ view might differ from students’ views. Junior Adela Teles says that even though she worries about not being completely awake or focused enough to take the test, studying content that could be on the test and reviewing over words and strategies gives her enough confidence to believe she can do well on it.

“I think it’s better having it in the morning because if you finish the the AP test in the mornin, you can do other things (after that),” Teles said.

If AP test times and regular class time is almost the same, will students focus more? Social Studies teacher Nathan Fishel says that if students study well and prepare, because they know when the test is, they should be as ready as possible to take the test. He believes that having test -taking skills and studying the content as much as possible is a part of being prepared for the AP test.

“I don’t think the time of the day it’s given has that much of an impact,” Fishel said. “I don’t know if I would change the time, but if I could change anything, I would change the date to later in the school year or even after the school year where students got the whole year of instruction but as it is, we’re taking it Friday and we’re still three weeks out so there’s a bunch of US history that you’re having to cram.”