Siblings begin a new life in a new country together

Andrea Vidaurre

Weiya Rufus (Left) sits with his younger sister Kebbeh Rufus (Right) while they study together. The two have come to SHS from Liberia.

Andrea Vidaurre, Foreign Language Editor

Brother and sister Kebbeh and Waiyea Rufus are two of SHS’s newest Cardinals. Kebbeh, the sister, is 14, while Waiyea, the brother, is 17. They have come to America from Liberia to join their father while he’s on the path to a better life for their family.
It is Kebbeh and Waiyea, along with their mother and their little brother who is four years old. Their father came here for work. He found a better job, therefore, the rest of the family followed. They are not refugees as many of our newcomers have been. In Liberia, English is the first language, although, the Rufus’ speak Loma at home. According to google, this is a Mande language spoken by the Loma people in Liberia and Guinea; therefore, language isn’t a major language barrier for the siblings here in Indiana.
Even though there is a pretty decent age gap between the brother and sister, it is common for there to not be track records from school in war-torn countries, therefore, they were tested and put into the grade administrators and teachers feel is the best fit. The Rufus’ both began their education in the U.S as freshmen.
The siblings both agreed that so far, they have found nothing to dislike about their new home. Both siblings enjoy the food here and love learning at school.
However, they do both miss their school, friends and family at home. Back home, Waiya’s parents’ businesses sold rice, candy and other food items, and he missed helping out there.
Among other things, Waiyea used to do bicycle races and play soccer and basketball, and says he wants to continue playing sports while here in America. Kebbeh never did any sports, but she would like to begin playing tennis.
The two have high aspirations for their future in the U.S. and at SHS, as they would both like to stay and continue their education in college, studying to be a doctor.