Rowling’s wizarding world makes a comeback

‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is everything fans would expect of the Harry Potter prequel, and more

Madelyn Knight, Reporter

The wizarding world returns to the theaters in J.K. Rowling’s newest film, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” And no matter how much viewers will want to compare it to the original “Harry Potter” movies, “Fantastic Beasts” rises up and takes viewers for a completely unique ride that will have them leaving the theater in all smiles.

“Fantastic Beasts” takes place in 1920s New York City. Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), a former Hogwarts student and magizoologist, joins two sisters, Porpentina (Katherine Waterston) and Queenie Goldstein (Fine Frenzy), along with a no-maj, Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler) to recapture his magical beasts. At least, that’s what it seems to be anyways. Witch hunts, fear of the exposure of magic and dark forces circle New York City to create an impressive plot that only J.K. Rowling could think of.

Newt Scamander is your new hero. His shy, humble personality will leave you gushing over his sense of loyalty and friendship. His goal is to teach the wizarding world to understand magical beasts and how to respect them. After minutes of being in America he manages to lose one of his funniest creatures and gets arrested. Although his past is for the most part unrevealed, Redmayne does an incredible job of developing his character. It’s the little looks to his friends or his creatures and his fascination with the world that will get you loving him.

The filming of this movie is also, well, fantastic. So much detail went into certain shots that it made you feel as if you were inside the movie, not to mention the incredible graphics that are put on display. Each tiny, little aspect of this movie was thought out and it shows. From the set to how certain characters look at each other or stand, “Fantastic Beasts” grabs the viewer by the shoulders and pulls them in.

The plot never slows down, but when it might need a little boost, the humor and directing step in to keep it well rounded. You will laugh, cry, scream and gasp the entire way through the two hours and 13 minutes of this movie.

And for those die-hard “Harry Potter” fans, don’t worry, the film includes just enough hints and peeks at the original series to keep you on the edge of your seat. The movie hints at future installments and J.K. Rowling herself announced that plans show that it could be up to five future movies following the “Fantastic Beasts” story line.

“I’ve now done the plotting properly so we’re pretty sure it’s going to be five movies,” Rowling said at a global fan event.

Similarly to the first eight “Harry Potter” films, no extra bonus scenes are included at the end of the credits, so there’s no need to stay, but theories for future movies are sure to be a conversation topic on the way home. “Fantastic Beasts” recaptured the magic from the original “Harry Potter” movies and gave us a thrilling movie that didn’t disappoint.