Robotics helps create real-life connections

Sources say being a part of Cyber Cards helps individual as well as team growth

Payne Sutherland

Senior Dylan Puckett and Zhuling look over material together for the robotics team meeting on Jan. 11. Everyone who has a passion and is willing to share his or hers skills is welcome on the team.

Sofia Patrone, Reporter

After 12 years of teaching, Mike Snodgrass, the head of the Robotics Tea,m (the Cyber Cards,) at SHS, got goosebumps recalling some of the most significant moments he shared with his students over this time.

“It isn’t about test scores, it’s about being able to apply what you learn and show passion about what you care about,” Snodgrass said. “(The team) is always together, and they work, they share, they feed off each other and it is so amazing to watch. This is what learning should be.”

The Robotics Team is not just about building robots. The bond that forms between the team goes deeper than just being members of it. Students interact within each other, sharing their passions and knowledge. They learn the value of working together and relying on one another, besides treasuring every single thing members have to offer.

Behind everything they accomplish, there is the dedicated  work of students occupied in other fields such as business, marketing, art and video editing.

Everyone who has a passion and is willing to share his or hers skills is welcome on the team, and this is one of the reasons why it is so numerous and works in such an efficient way.

“Our team is a full business,” Snodgrass said. “Every kid can prove his passion if they walk in those doors.”

Adding to its other benefits, the Robotics Team also represents a path for a lot of kids’ future, offering several scholarships. Snodgrass believes colleges give robotics team members a stronger look compared to other applicants. This is especially true for girls, since the number of them in technology fields is less than boys.

“I want to make every kid with every interest be able to use what they do for a progress and practice before they go to college,” Snodgrass said.

Kobe Tasker is a senior and member of the team. Joining the Robotics team first sparked his interest when was walking in the hallway to his class and he saw a robotics poster that captured his attention. Not having anything to lose, he decided to give it a shot.

He eventually ended up gaining more he was expecting to.

“I didn’t have many friends,” Tasker said. “I gained friendship. This is the biggest one. I gained marketing experience.”

Tasker also says his involvement in the team’s activities has played a huge role of his as a person.

“I was the most anti-social, awkward, (anxious)human being on the planet,” Tasker said. “I used to be very angry due to (a) past (bullying) experience. Now I have more confidence in myself.”

Just like Tasker, confidence is just one of the benefits Snodgrass thinks students can gain from Robotics.

Senior Torey Dunn joined the team to get a better understanding of different types of engineering and ways to improve his design skills. He says since he has joined his “robotic family” he has his eyes more set on the future.

“This year I’m going to gain more experience with design,” Dunn said. “And hopefully also some scholarships to help with college.”

Snodgrass says he never stops thinking about future projects to extend the team.

Currently, two of his goals are starting new ones at elementary and middle school, and also creating a “Hacker Team” at SHS.