Freshman comes to U.S. in hope for better education

Contributed by Samuel Kile.

Freshman Samuel Kile poses outside of his church after a service in Uganda. Kile was 12 in the picture.

Andrea Vidaurre, Foreign Language Editor

The beginning of freshman Samuel Kile’s journey began when he left the Congo. He moved to Uganda when he was just 1 with his family. Thirteen years later, at age 14, Kile and his family decided to move to the U.S. with the hope that the children would get a better education. Kile’s entire family moved to the U.S. His family consists of both parents, his older brother Jonathan who is a junior at SHS, and a little sister who is 10. They arrived towards the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year.

Although Kile is Congolese, he spent his whole life in Uganda, visiting the Congo every so often. Thirteen years after their move to Uganda, he and his family decided that America would be a better place for him and his siblings to further their education. While Kile and his family had a good life and education there, they knew it could be better so they set off to make that statement reality. According to Kile, students in Uganda  do not receive their own computers like everyone does at SHS. Another difference between the education system in the U.S. and Uganda is that in the U.S., if you are 27, you cannot attend high school. In Uganda, that is something that is considered normal and is permitted. There, all of the grades start at the same time but end at different periods throughout the day. High school ends at four, middle school ends at 3:30, and anyone younger ends at one.

Kile’s favorite thing about America is the education. When asked if coming to America has provided more opportunity, Kile said yes, but the progress and outcome all depends on the work he and his family puts in. The opportunity is only there if you take it.

“It depends on your knowledge. You have to study and work hard,” Kile said.  

According to Kile, he studies a lot, working his way up to college to study computer networking.

The new SHS club, “Young Life” has been started this year in order for students to become closer to God and learn more about Christianity. Kile and his brother have become a part of it and are even going to the summer camp for a few days. Although the club comes with a lot of exciting activities like pizza parties and attending a Pacers game, Kile isn’t a part of the club for those reasons. He is there for the religious reasons and wants to continue practicing his religion that he did in Uganda.

“I enjoy it because I have made a friend, Big Joe,” Kile said. “I’m not in Young Life because I want to have a pizza party. I’m not there for that. I’m there to get friends and for gospel.”