Head to head: Is Harry the same as he was?

April 29, 2022

When I first heard Harry Styles new song, “As It Was,” I was laying in my bed. The second the song ended, I ran downstairs to show my mom and share the excitement. 

Pop singer and former member of boy band “One Direction,” Harry Styles, released his first single “As It Was” on April 1 for his upcoming album “Harry’s House,” which will be released on May 22. The new single quickly gained popularity, which I think was well deserved. 

I have been a fan of Styles for quite some time, and none of his songs have disappointed me yet. Each has its own creativity and style that I feel like you don’t get with other music artists.

As a big music fan, I feel like I can say that most pop songs today are lacking in creativity, and all of them sound the same. Yet, Styles’ songs allow for a different taste from what current music is like. 

I was very surprised when I listened to the song and heard instruments that I normally don’t hear. Styles included instruments like the bells, which aren’t typically used. 

The lyrics of the song were easily relatable too. They told how it feels to reflect on past relationships, which most people can relate to in some way or another. 

The contrasting tone of the lyrics and instruments allow for other people to listen to it no matter their mood. The lyrics are more somber while the instruments provide an upbeat tone. 

I do think there are some flaws to the song though. Some parts felt overused, such as the voicemail at the beginning from Styles’s goddaughter. Styles has used a voicemail before in his song “Cherry” from the studio album “Fine Line,” so using another one felt unoriginal.

It quickly gained popularity after it was realized and Styles had gained a number of new fans to his already big fan base. The song had also set a new Guiness World Record for “most streamed track on Spotify in 24 hours (male).” 

Even with the song’s catchy tune, I can see it getting overplayed really fast. Like most songs, when people hear them too much they get tired of them, which I can see happening with “As it Was.” 

I do feel though that this song is like nothing Styles has released before. After being in a boy band for many years, he didn’t have space to explore his style of music. 

Former member of  “One Direction” Liam Payne mentioned in a podcast how the environment of being in the band was toxic and felt like they didn’t have much choice in what they did. 

Now that Styles has gone solo, he is able to create music how he wants and with his own hint of creativity. I feel like with all aspects of “As It Was,” Styles was able to express himself in ways that he has not done before. 

Meet The Writer:
Photo of Kenzie Andrysiak
Kenzie Andrysiak, Features Editor

Hi! My name is Kenzie Andrysiak and I’m a junior this year! This is my third year on The Journal and I’m going to be the Features Editor. Other than...