Food review: Paradise and Great Wall

May 19, 2023

Paradise MX

Paradise+MX

Sophomore Alexia Nava’s family has been making desserts, specifically ice cream, for three generations now, starting in Mexico. They started a restaurant called Paradise to continue that tradition.

“You don’t really see places like this in Indianapolis […] it’s just a really cute place to go to,” Nava said.

Paradise is owned by Nava’s parents, uncle and aunt. So, she and her cousins may inherit the business once they all grow up. Nava is interested in doing nails though, so she plans on starting a nail business herself.

Social media has been a key element in advertising the restaurant. Paradise got a boost in popularity after being featured on Indy’s food instagram and Tiktok page. As well, Junior Sui Kong found out about the restaurant via social media and enjoys visiting Paradise.

“Paradise is definitely a place you would go with friends,” Kong said. “It’s very welcoming […] it’s just a very nice place to go.”

Her favorite desserts are Mini Tres Leches and the Mangonadas. Both are Mexican desserts, the Mini Tres Leches are a cake and the Mangonadas are a mango sorbet and chamoy topped with chili powder.

Kong often spends around $20 each visit.

Kong would recommend people to visit as she’s really enjoyed her experience.
“It’s just such a cute environment,” Kong said. “I would love to go again.” 

Some of the most popular products at Paradise would be the crepes, fresh fruit water and their ice cream.

Nava works at Paradise on occasion, but the business has enough of its own workers that she doesn’t always have to be there. But, even though it’s her family’s restaurant, Nava truly enjoys the atmosphere and the items on the menu.

“I hope you guys visit Paradise and have the best experience there,” Nava said.

Great Wall

Great+Wall

Senior Tony Jing remembers learning chess from a regular customer, a Vietnam veteran, which is one of the reasons his family’s restaurant, The Great Wall, is so special to him.

“I am excited and welcoming to every customer, no matter if they are old ones or new ones,” Jing said.

Jings father decided he wanted to open a restaurant because he had experience in the field. His father worked as a chef in Japan.

Part of Jings’ fathers’ family also owned a restaurant, so he followed in his family’s footsteps. 

Jing’s mother, Li Han, is one of the bosses at the restaurant. Though The Great Wall has been running for 11 and a half years, Han has only been working there for five and a half years.

“You must work through your hardest in life in order to achieve the greatest.” Han said.

Although Jing recommends trying the Japanese Teriyaki and the Lemon Chicken meals, the most popular meal at The Great Wall is the General Tso’s Chicken. And the most popular appetizer is Crab Rangoon. 

“It is the two dishes out of the whole menu that I really like,” Jing said.

The Great Wall’s popularity often depends on the day of the week. Jing says that the most popular days are on the weekends and Mondays. 

Jing currently isn’t working as much, as he is involved in many extracurricular activities. He sometimes has to do his school work at work, especially during marching band season.

When it comes to Jing’s future, he doesn’t plan on taking over the business. Instead, he wants to double major in political science and international relationships, double minor in two languages and then take three years of law school.  Ultimately, he wants to be a supreme court justice. 

Meanwhile, he strives to make the atmosphere in the restaurant as welcoming as possible. 

“I want people to obviously feel welcomed,” Jing said.