International Club fundraises for various activities

Students raise money to further their cultural education

License plate examples of what International Club sold throughout the start of the year

Lyndsay Valadez

Lyndsay Valadez, News Editor

The international club is currently fundraising for a variety of activities the members hope to participate in throughout the school year.

Head of the International Club Conner McNeely says the money will go towards travel scholarships, meals for the club when going to a restaurant and their new hope of having a “cool” monthly activity.

“I want as many people to participate as possible,” McNeely said, “and I don’t want money to be a factor.”

To alleviate some costs, the club has connected with Kroger. Customers can now register their Kroger card with the international club and 20 percent of their payment at checkout will go towards the club’s funding. The most recent fundraising event, which ended Aug. 24, was where the club sold license plates. At least $8 of each went towards their funding. In all, they raised about $100.

One who liked the idea of the license plates, but really likes the overall idea of fundraising is junior Shelby Stivers, a member of the International Club. She says it’s important for everyone to have a chance in furthering knowledge of other cultures without the cost being a problem.

“(Raising money) could change someone’s whole perspective of international club and the different cultures that (the members study),” Stivers said.

Stivers joined the club believing that segregation is something that should never go on, therefore she hopes to learn more about the variety of students and cultures around her at SHS. She is still waiting for the year to get going in order to expand her knowledge more fully. Nevertheless, she encourages people to fundraise for what she describes as a “fun club.”

“I thought it was a good way to get involved, especially with the different cultures that are in the school,” Stivers said.