Junior excels at golf

Junior+Elizabeth+Lamkin+putts+on+her+third+hole+against+Franklin+Community+on+Aug.+9.++

Jordin Baker

Junior Elizabeth Lamkin putts on her third hole against Franklin Community on Aug. 9.

Savannah Doane, Reporter

It was in 6th grade when junior Elizabeth Lamkin fell in love with golf. Originally, Lamkin took on the sport because, according to her, it fell within the month that her club swim team wasn’t in season. Over time, Lamkin really fell in love with the sport and the challenges it presented her with.

“(Golf) challenges me to keep my cool, because if you know anything about me, I’m pretty loud and ultra competitive at literally everything I do,” Lamkin said. “It’s a nice alternative from swim because instead of yelling my face off during a relay , I have to stay calm and collected, even if I make a bad shot.”

Throughout her golf career, Lamkin has accomplished a few impressive goals such as shooting the lowest score in a duel match this current season of a 44, and in middle school she scored the only hole-in-one recorded in Perry Township history.

Lamkin’s scores this season have  improved due to the fact that she has gone back to polish up some of her fundamentals, such as her putting. According to Lamkin, she isn’t the best putter, so she has been working very hard at getting better at it because it is a big part of the game.

According to head golf coach Jeff Adamson, Lamkin has worked really hard on improving her putting this season, and she is very easy to coach.

“(Lamkin) will normally tell me what she needs to work on or what her struggles from each match were,” Adamson said. “I would describe her as a player who wears her emotions on her sleeve. You can usually tell how she is playing by her body language.”

Lamkin says that she can definitely see golf being apart of her future if nothing works out for her in swimming. She believes that there are a lot of golf scholarships in this state that go to waste every year because not many girls play the sport. She also believes that playing golf helps her beyond the course.  

“I think my accomplishments in golf will help me as a student, because in golf you have to keep a clear mind, and you have to stay focused,” Lamkin said. “ So, I definitely think that will help me in school and other sports.”