SHS dominates homecoming game

Jordin Baker

The SHS offensive line battles the defensive line of Terre Haute South as sophomore LaMarco Yates runs the ball on Friday, Sept. 29.

Logan Zrebiec, Reporter

On Sept. 29, the SHS Cards took on the Terre Haute South Vigo Braves. The Cards went on to beat the Braves 38-28 to improve their record to 4-4.

¨We have not been at full strength for a game this season…,¨ Head coach Brandon Winters said. ¨They’ve overcome a lot of adversity and I am really proud of them.¨

The Cards looked as if they were firing on all cylinders Friday  night as they had a total of 418 yards. Junior Eddie Schott threw for 308 yards, sophomore Lamarco Yates ran for a team high of 121 yards, and junior Rashawn Haskins had a team high of 157 receiving yards. If Schott wasn’t throwing the ball to Haskins, he was targeting junior Lucas Willoughby. Willoughby also had a big game receiving, as he had five catches for 75 yards and one touchdown.

Senior defensive captain Sam Rust is incredibly proud of how the team played and believes that ¨this is the best chemistry we’ve (the team) had…¨ Rust was considered the MVP on the defensive side by Winters. Rust had six tackles, one assist, four sacks, and four tackles for losses. He led the team in three of those four categories to showcase his MVP status for the game.

The Cards travel to Bloomington next Friday, where they will play in a conference matchup against Bloomington North with kickoff set for 7 p.m.