Students need to find an escape in reading

Abigail Barrett, Reporter

I’ve always been an avid reader. Whether it be picture books or thousand-page novels, I have had a huge desire to explore the contents of just about anything that has crossed my path since I started reading on my own at 4-years-old.

Even before I could read to myself, I constantly asked my mom to read stories to me before bed, in the morning, after lunch and just about any other time. I have a fascination with the way these shapes we call letters can weave together to form whole worlds and people with full stories that so easily captivate my interest.

So, you could say I hold reading at a high regard. I think it is important for everyone to find something they enjoy reading. It could be anything, just as long as the reader enjoys it and is finding a small reprieve within the story.

I’m lucky to come from a family with little censorship in regards to books. Even when I was a melodramatic tween that felt compelled to read Twilight I was never told ‘no’ or even made fun of for reading that poorly written atrocity.

Whenever I see an article or hear about books being banned from schools or libraries, I am overcome with so much frustration with whoever felt the banning was needed. I get especially frustrated when books of historical reverence have offensive words taken out that were originally put into the text to make the reader uncomfortable with those aspects of history.

We live in a privileged society with libraries and book stores all over as well as ebooks and computers in nearly every household. It’s unnecessary and just downright wrong to censor children in what they read. Telling someone ‘no’ will only discourage them from reading at all.

Reading is a form of escape that will stay with me my entire life. Nothing will ever be more comforting to me than curling up on a cushiony couch with a favorite book and a hot cup of tea. I only wish that everyone could find a story that they find an escape within.