Lady Cards fall to rivals

Senior+Andrea+Vidaurre+drives+to+the+paint+against+Perry+Meridian.+SHS+lost+the+game+55-52.+

Logan Zrebiec

Senior Andrea Vidaurre drives to the paint against Perry Meridian. SHS lost the game 55-52.

Logan Zrebiec, Reporter

On Jan. 19, the SHS girls basketball team tipped off against their rival Perry Meridian High School. The game ended with a nail-biting finish where the Falcons ended up beating the Cards 55-52.

“The officials weren’t the deciding factor,” head coach Adam Morelock said. “We had all the opportunities that we needed and we just didn’t make the plays at the times they were crucial.”

The calls during this game ended up lopsided and not in the Cards’ favor. SHS ended with a total of 21 fouls called against them and Perry ended with 15. One could tell by the energy of the crowd that there should have been more calls against the Falcons.

The three seniors on the team, Andrea Vidaurre, Tiana Wright and Savannah Edington, ended up scoring a combined total of 27 points. Falcons junior Catie Baird ended up with a game high 20 points, all coming from the paint. Baird, being the tallest player on the court standing at over six feet tall, was able to get open in the paint for most of her shots. Wright believes that for the possible upcoming rematch during sectionals, the way to stop Baird is to box her out more.

Edington tied for the team high of 11 points for last nights game. Edington says that she is overall happy with how her team played during the game but believes that they need to start finishing games out.

The next time the Cards play will be today in an away game at 6 p.m. against Terre Haute South.