the Journal REWIRED

Potential pet owners: Adopt don’t shop

Free use image from google

Free use image from google

Hannah Garrett, Opinion Editor

Bringing a new pet into the family is one of the most exciting, heart-warming and rewarding experiences many animal lovers go through, including me. I adopted my dog, and best friend, Mikey, from a shelter called “Indianapolis Animal Care and Control.” Not only did we get him for a great price, but we saved his life as well.

By adopting from animal shelters instead of pet stores, you are preventing contributing to abusive breeders or puppy mills.

According to the Humane Society, puppy mills are factory-style breeding facilities that put profit above the welfare of dogs. Animals from puppy mills are housed in shockingly poor and unsanitary conditions with improper medical care and are often very sick and behaviorally-troubled as a result. They don’t get love, socialization, toys, treats, exercise or adequate veterinary care. By buying a dog from a pet store, you are supporting this harsh process of breeding, and the dogs you buy may not be in great health.

Uncle Bill’s Pet Center is one of the most popular pet stores here in Indianapolis, and although seeing all the cute puppies through the cages makes your heart happy, those cute faces behind those cages have a worse history than you think. According to their website, they get their dogs from breeders in Indiana. The website makes it seem like the breeders they buy from meet their “very high” standards, but the Humane Society cites that after the breeding dogs are no longer profitable, they are killed, abandoned or sold at auctions. So, it doesn’t matter what type of breeders they are, breeders are breeders, and they are still abusers.

I don’t understand why people avoid these facts, and still choose to buy $600-$1000 dogs from stores when you could save the life of a rescued dog from a shelter for a cheaper price.

When you purchase a dog from a shelter, the cost of your adoption goes directly towards helping other animals that get rescued in that shelter. Also, the more dogs rescued, the more room the shelters have to bring in more dogs!

Don’t tell me when those Humane Society commercials come on T.V. with depressed dogs sitting in poor conditions shivering out of fear, don’t make you want to cry. Trust me, I can’t even watch them without getting teared up. Well, those are the types of dogs you are saving when you adopt from an animal shelter.

So, if you’re planning on adopting a dog and welcoming a new member to the family, go to your local animal shelter and save a dog’s life. Not only will you be satisfied with your happy, healthy and furry friend, but you’ll be fighting against abusive puppy mills and breeders as well.