You’re never too cool to be kind

Savannah Doane, Entertainment Editor

Growing up, I always heard my parents and teachers say, “make sure to follow the golden rule!” But as the situations in which I heard that sentence varied, it became obvious that there is more than just one “golden rule.” “Always tell the truth,” “two wrongs don’t make a right,” “treat others the way you want to be treated.” I could honestly go on with several others that I’ve heard throughout the years.

Although all of these phrases absolutely are golden rules and should be followed respectively, they aren’t necessarily the most important. If you ask me, the best golden rule that anyone could follow is to just be kind to one another.

Being kind to others is one of the most important things in society. It’s the most effective way to communicate and get through to other people. According to The Chopra Center, kindness can be conveyed by just simply flashing someone a sweet smile, but as I’ve made my way through high school, it’s astoundingly obvious that being kind to everyone is not always the route people take. This is not because they don’t want to, but it’s because it is not looked at as the “cool” thing to do in certain situations.

At this age, we all yearn to fit in and this can cause us to change the way we act in order to be accepted by others. When en route to making friends and gaining popularity, especially in high school, people will diverge away from their natural characteristics in order to fit in with what is looked at as “cool” by other people. I can’t tell you how many times I have watched someone I know incredibly well change the way they say or do things when someone who has a more superior popular background is around.

I’ve witnessed people being rude or making fun of someone else in attempt to get a quick laugh out of someone they’re trying to impress, which is horribly wrong and in a way, sickening. However, it seems that even those who aren’t trying to impress anyone at all still find themselves being rude to others and they may not even realize it. Just because someone is considered “different,” not as academically inclined or athletic as others or whatever doesn’t mean they don’t deserve the same respect or kindness that a perceived popular kid deserves.

The thing is, everyone is different. Everyone has their perks that draw people towards them, but you are never, ever too cool or popular to be nice to the ones who may not draw the same crowds as you. You don’t have to necessarily like or be best friends with everyone by any means, but there is no reason that you can’t smile and just be kind to everyone no matter who you are. We rise by lifting others and accepting each other’s differences. It all begins with being kind.

About the Writer
Savannah Doane, Entertainment Editor

Hello, my name is Savannah Doane, and I am a senior this year at SHS. This is my second year on The Journal, and I will be the editor for the entertainment section. I am on the girls softball team here at SHS, and until season rolls around, you can usually find me doing incredibly productive things, such as taking hefty after-school naps and seeing how long I can go until I order an abundance of food that consumes half of my paychecks. Speaking of which, I work at the sub shop, Penn Station, and unfortunately can’t prevent myself from eating it every time I go into work. If not at work, you can usually catch me either going on some crazy adventure with my best friends, watching rom-coms and TV series that make me emotionally unstable, or on a softball field. Some of my favorite things in the world consist of traveling, animals (especially baby pigs), those ridiculously expensive yet irresistible candles from Bath and Body works, philadelphia sushi rolls and spending time with my family.