The better bird

SHS football team takes down the Perry Meridian Falcons

Back to Article
Back to Article

The better bird

Senior Rashawn Haskins gets past two Perry Meridian defenders. SHS won the game 49-21.

Michael Long

Michael Long

Michael Long

Friday, Aug. 24, was a memorable night for members of the Southport community. It is always a big deal for players, coaches and fans to win, but rivalries make it so much more important. SHS extended their eight-year winning streak against the Perry Meridian Falcons with a win of 49-21.

Senior quarterback Eddie Schott made history by throwing an alarming six touchdown passes in one game, tying the school record. Even more amazing is that each pass was caught by a different receiver. This included Lucas Willoughby, Brian Miller, Rashawn Haskins, Kobe Davis, Ryan Lezon and Matthew Munoz. Antwaun Payne also ran in a touchdown for the Cards. The Cardinal offense is deep with talent this year.

“We have a really good quarterback, Eddie Schott,” junior Ryan Lezon said. “He can throw dimes anywhere and everywhere, and he was just finding every open receiver.”

Schott gave some credit to his teammates for his success on the field.

“Our offensive line did a great job of blocking and protecting me and Jalen (Caldwell),” Schott said, “and all of our receivers were catching the ball, and I was putting it where it was supposed to be.”

Defensive player Jordan Tweedy was also pleased with the way his team played together on Friday.

“The team, they did a good job executing, doing what they are supposed to, and they kept their heads up when things went rough,” Tweedy said.

The Cards will play again on Friday, Aug. 31 against Columbus North at SHS’s Cardinal Stadium in search of a third win.

Meet The Writer:
Marissa Munoz, Reporter

My name is Marissa Munoz and I am currently a sophomore at SHS. I am very excited to be in my first year of writing for The Journal and reporting for the...