Students to receive library cards from Indianapolis Public Library

Students+at+SHS+have+been+offered+the+chance+to+receive+an+Indianapolis+Public+Library+card.+

Julia Brookshire

Students at SHS have been offered the chance to receive an Indianapolis Public Library card.

In the coming months, students will have access to e-resources and books that the Indianapolis Public Library has, and they will also have the opportunity to “read off” their fines. According to an email sent out to students, the library will be working with the Technology Department to get cards processed, printed and distributed to students by the end of first semester. Students will also have the option to opt out of getting a library card. To do this, there is a Google Form that needs filled out and a letter that parents need to sign.

According to Abraham Lincoln Elementary School Assistant Principal Tiffany Opper, this partnership between Perry Township and the public library arose from the Leaders Library Card Challenge grant, which came through the Urban Library Council wanting to get library cards in the hands of students, Opper says. She says that the Obama Administration challenged libraries to become more involved, and the Indianapolis Public Library took on the challenge.

“I am really excited about our population of students in Perry Township having this resource at their fingertips,” Opper said.

English teacher Brent Bockelman also thinks that the partnership is a great opportunity for students. According to Bockelman, if teachers are aware of the partnership, they can refer students to the library for more resources. Bockelman feels that he will be able to take advantage of the partnership and make materials available to students but not require it as some students may opt out of the library card.

“I think it would be great to have more students travel there (the Indianapolis Public Library) and see what they have to offer,” Bockelman said. “They have a lot of programs and things too that they offer to get people involved in things.”

Junior Shelby Reeves hopes that the availability of the library’s resources will broaden students minds and encourage students to love to read.

“I think it is very new and innovative,” Reeves said. “It would be good to have access to everyone to have books and be able to get material that they want to read.”