Feel confident of your sexuality

Brad Davis, Sports Editor

Hello, my name is Bradley Scott Davis. I am a senior at SHS, and I am currently the sports editor of the Journal. I am 5’8” and somewhere around 210-215 pounds. I play the card game Yu-Gi-Oh in my free time as a relaxing agent. I am a die-hard New England Patriots fan and just a fan of all sports in general.

I am also bisexual.

I know that this could be of a surprise to many, and it was even a surprise to me. I had these thoughts running through my head since early sophomore year. I never had the ability to come out with this because I never had people that I could trust. This, lack of friends, led me to act out. I was obnoxious and hyper and loud and just down-right annoying. I mimicked what I thought was cool, when in reality, I was already cool. Or at least the real me was cool.

I would’ve never been able to come out with this if it weren’t for the great group of friends that I do have. One is always texting me and just giving me somebody to talk to about anything at any given time. One was there with me, sitting by my side when I told my family.  One is always with me, either at my house or in most of my classes. There are a few more, but their combined contribution has made me a better me.

It’s led me to these conclusions: 1) If you know that you are gay or bisexual, and you have a good support of people around you, then don’t be afraid to tell the world. And 2) If you are able to take the backlash that could possibly come back from you telling, then still come out with it.

I am not only writing this to say that I am bisexual. I am writing this in order to pass on a message to others who are sure they are either gay or bisexual and haven’t told the public yet. As long as you have your support group around you and you know that they will have your back 100 percent of the time and your family knows (please make sure you tell them before you make it public) then what is stopping you from sharing it?

If you haven’t gathered a group of friends, or even a really close friend, and you don’t think you can come out with being gay without somebody, you can come talk to me if you want. I’ll help you out. I know what it is like to be you, and I don’t want you to go through what I have.

Last thing to remember. What people you don’t know think of you, shouldn’t bother you. Because who cares? If my friends hear somebody talking bad about me in the hall, especially if it is based on this topic, I know they will say something and back me up on it. The only thing that should matter to you as a person, is what your family thinks of you and what your friends think of you. If anyone else says anything, who cares?