Administration places limit on student assistants

Emma Herwehe

Freshman Dawt Len Sung Thannget, a student assistant for the main office, writes a pass during second period on Jan. 18.

At SHS, students who have a study hall have the option of becoming a student assistant for a teacher during that time. Recently, administration has set a limit, of two student assistants, that can be in a class at a time.

Assistant Principal Amy Boone says that too many student assistants in one classroom can be a distraction and take up too much space. She says a good learning environment in the classroom is very important.

“Some of our classes are already (full),” Boone said. “To add additional assistants in the classroom, there’s a limitation on space. We also want to make sure that the teachers are able to focus on the students that are in the class.”

Boone also says that classes need assistants for various reasons, so the number of assistants in each class will vary. Boone claims that if a student cannot become an assistant for a teacher, it is beneficial to expand their horizons to other areas of the school.

“If someone finds out that there’s not space in (a teacher’s classroom) that they wanted to be in, I’m sure they’d get a little upset,” Boone said. “But, it provides other opportunities to build relationships with teachers that maybe they’re not as close with yet.”

Junior Madeline Holloway, student assistant, says that while she doesn’t like the limitations, classrooms don’t need many student assistants at a time. She is a student assistant for social studies teacher David Luers, and she says that there is not very much to do in class as an assistant.

“In the first semester, (Luers) had two student assistants,” Holloway said. “We didn’t do that much. So, while I don’t like the limitations, it makes sense. Most of the time you’re just hanging out. I guess (administration) doesn’t want a bunch of students that aren’t actually in the class just hanging out in the room.”

Kris Mobley, the substitute teacher taking over English teacher Jessica Walpole’s room while she is on maternity leave, has had experience with a large number of students asking to assist him. Mobley claims to pick his assistants on a “first-come, first-serve” basis. Being new to the school, he does not have much of a problem with the limit and enjoys having assistants in class.

“First come, first serve,” Mobley said. “All the student assistants I’ve had are all the student assistants that have asked me. I’ve enjoyed having them in class.”