Filed under News

Snowcoming scoop

Back to Article
Back to Article

Snowcoming scoop

Haley Miller

Haley Miller

Haley Miller

On the night of Feb. 16, the SHS Fieldhouse is being transformed into Hollywood for the Snowcoming game and dance.  

“It’s a cool thing we started last year, by doing it with the basketball game, connecting them together. It’s a celebration of the winter sports and activities, a game and a dance all on the same night,” Student Council sponsor Joseph Leonard said.

Like last year, the dance will follow a basketball game, and there will be a wristband available to admit students into the game and the dance. Students are being encouraged to dress as their favorite Hollywood star or movie character to both the game and dance.

“Kids wear whatever they wear to the game, to the dance. (Kids are being encouraged) to wear anything Hollywood,” Booster Club sponsor Stacey Matlock said. “You could dress from a fancy formal kind of thing, all the way to jeans and a t-shirt.”

Similar to Homecoming, a King and Queen will be crowned. Although, this year, the titles may be changed. Names like “Mr. and Miss Cardinal” or “Mr. and Miss Southport” have been considered. The crown itself may be different as well.

“Something different… I still like the crown thing, but we might make it a funny kind of crown,” Matlock said.

Leading up to the event, different hallways will be decorated as different movie genres by each class. Each class will also be representing three organizations here at SHS with their hallways. If students are interested in helping with their hallways, they should speak with their class officers.

Casey Rockel, the sophomore class president, says that Snowcoming will be improved from last year. The rules regarding dress code are less strict, and the game-to-dance transition will be a lot smoother. The student council learned from last year and are looking forward to a great turnout this year.

“I think there is a big difference (from last year),” Rockel said. “They will be more relaxed on what you can wear… If it has something to do with Hollywood, then it goes with the theme.”

Meet The Writer:
Emma Herwehe, Reporter

Hi! I’m Emma Herwehe, a sophomore at SHS. I’m on the news and media sections for The Journal this year. This is my first year on The Journal, and I...