Girls swim team loss due to ‘lack of numbers’

Junior Caroline Chappell prepares to swim her part in the 200 freestyle relay event on December 9. Chappell and her relay team finished second out of four teams.

Brandon Baker, Reporter

The girls swim team lost their second meet in a row Tuesday night, by a score of 93-82, to Whiteland.

Despite a number of strong finishes from all the swimmers on the team, SHS lost largely  due to the numbers game, as said by coach Matt Jeffries.

“That meet was a great example of the numbers game we play,” said Jeffries. “We are a smaller team and since we can’t fill a line-up we give points away and in this case we lost the meets because of it.”

The Cards had solid performances in almost every event. The 200 medley relay team of junior Jaclyn Boyer, sophomores Emma Lattimore and  Brontie Wright and Senior Madison Bethel-Brown won their event. Wright also won the 200 individual freestyle and 500 freestyle. Lattimore won the 100 breaststroke and took second in the 200 individual medley and Boyer won the 100 freestyle and placed second in the 100 backstroke.

The team of Boyer, Wright, Bethel-Brown and junior Delaney Bucker also won the 400 freestyle relay. Bucker took first in the 100 butterfly event. The group of Bucker, Lattimore, Junior Caroline Chappell and Senior Alexis Odle took second in the 200 freestyle relay. Bucker had a nice outing, taking first in the 100 butterfly while Chappell took second in the same event. Bucker also placed third in the 500 freestyle and Chappell  came in second for the 100 butterfly.

According to Jeffries, Whiteland’s coach acknowledged that the only reason the Warriors won is due to the fact they could fill out every race.

“We outswam them in the pool, they just beat us with numbers,” Jeffries said.

The next swim meet is home, this Saturday, against Cathedral at 10 a.m.