Stat sheet doesn’t show how good SHS basketball team is

Sophomore Paul Scruggs shoots a lay-up in the Red-White Scrimmage. Scruggs lead the team in rebounds.

Brad Davis

Emma DeHart, Reporter

The SHS boys basketball is 3-0 and still ranked number 1 in Indiana. Friday, December 12 SHS beat Conference Indiana team Bloomington South 66-61. This was the first time that SHS has beat Bloomington South in 18 years.

Kyle Neddenriep ranked SHS the number one team in his article on December 15. SHS has beat Brownsburg, Neddenriep’s number two team and Ben Davis, his number six team.

“Obviously, I’m pleased right now that we are 3-0 because we played three really tough games,” varsity head coach Kyle Simpson said. “It’s good to win three games that we lost last year, but we’ve still got a long way to go.”

According to Simpson, every player is contributing with the roles that they have. Junior Eli Walton guards the opponent’s best player every night, but does not “load up the stat line”. Senior Malik Bennett, on the other hand, is averaging 21.7 points per game, 3.0 assists per game and 3.7 steals per game. The team is led in rebounds by sophomore Paul Scruggs with 11.7 rebounds per game.

“I think that the game will be a good game and a good experience,” Scruggs said.

The Cards plays 0-5 Indianapolis Northwest on Tuesday December 16 at 7:30. Northwest is in the same sectional as SHS.

“As far as (tonight), it’s just another chance for us to go out and get better,” Simpson said. “There are some things we still need to continue and get better and we will work on that (tonight).”