SHS secures 7th win against Batesville

Brad Davis, Sports Editor

SHS pushes their win streak to seven as the Cardinals beat Batesville 65-31 in game one of four at New Castle’s own Hall-of-Fame classic. Leading the surge was junior Joey Brunk, who posted his third double-double of the season with 23 points and 13 rebounds.

Brunk says that the event is special to not just him but his team. He says it is an honor to play where many great players have played before.

“We were excited coming in and it showed at first,” Brunk said. “ But we played well and we still have one more to go.”

Head coach Kyle Simpson says that the team played well at times but they still have a long way to go on the season. Simpson says that it is a honor as well to be able to coach in the event.

Other stats for the game include senior Malik Bennett with 17 points, four rebounds, five assists and five steals. Sophomore Paul Scruggs had 12 points, seven rebounds and four assists. Junior Janson Benge had seven points including a deep three-point shot in the middle of the third.

With the game one win, the Cards will be playing in the Championship game later on today, against the winner of game two, Brownsburg (6-1), whom the Cards opened the season against and defeated 54-39. The other opponent for the Cards could be Penn High School (6-1).

Check later for the recap of the Hall-of-Fame Classic championship game.