SHS wins City Securities Hall-of-Fame Classic Tournament

Brad Davis

Team poses with trophy after Hall-of-Fame classic win. Southport defeated Brownsburg for the second time this season, 66-49.

Brad Davis, Sports Editor

In the championship of the prestigious Cities Securities Hall-of-Fame Classic at the New Castle high school fieldhouse, SHS Cardinals defeated the Brownsburg Bulldogs for the second time this season, 66-49.

Junior Joey Bunk had 22 points and nine rebounds, and almost had his second double-double of the day. Brunk also won the Hall-of-Fame Classic  MVP award, awarded by the media that attended.

“It’s nice (to be named MVP,)” Brunk said. “But it was a team (win) and that is all that matters.”

Sophomore Paul Scruggs and Senior Malik Bennett were named a part of the All-Classic team, also voted upon by the media. Bennett had 15 points and five steals, while Scruggs had 18 points and six rebounds. As soon as the game ended, head coach Kyle Simpson pulled Bennett aside and said to embrace the moment.

“He said he was proud of me,” Bennett said. “ He looks at me like the quarterback, and he said I led like one.”

The Cards were the first team ranked number one to win the classic since the 2003 Lawrence North Wildcats, that had two future NBA players on it, (Greg Oden and Mike Conley.)

The Cards play at Jeffersonville on Dec. 30 at 7:30 p.m.