SHS wrestlers pin Northwest during Senior Night

Ty Conatser

Sophomore Brett Wright pins his opponent on Tuesday Jan. 13. Brett Wright won his match along with 12 other wrestlers.

Ty Conatser, Reporter

Tuesday night, the SHS wrestlers defeated Northwest High School 69-12 at home for Senior Night. Southport senior Damion Rutledge, and sophomores Brett Wright and Robert Clark all won by pins. The other winners included freshmen Gage Higgs, Ricky Beikes, Davis Chan and Dayton Fries, junior Everett Wise and sophomores Steven Moore, Tyler Rhoades, Harry Beikes and, Shane Ping.

A majority of SHS’s matches won were by forfeit or default due to the size difference between the two teams. Northwest had seven wrestlers rostered for last night’s match compared to SHS’s 13. Despite knowing there would be forfeits, head coach Dave Walpole still instructed all of his wrestlers to continue to stay loose and warm-up even if they would not be wrestling.

“I think the success tonight is just practicing hard and working hard in the wrestling room,” head coach Dave Walpole said. “The kids have been really dedicated. They’ve been sticking around, all the guys we still have around, they’re coming everyday to practice working hard and listening and that’s just carrying over into the meets.”

The SHS wrestlers agree with coach Walpole in attributing their success last night to hard work and effort at practice. Clark believes the hard work in the wrestling room is the reason for the success on the mat.

“I feel like all week we’ve worked pretty hard,” said Clark. “And last week too. I feel like the team really goes 100% in practice and we all give it our all. I think busting our butt comes in and really helps us bust their butt so that’s a big thing.”

According to Clark, the team’s success is also a result of their tight bond and support for each other. The wrestlers are always supporting each other on and off the matt. Clark says he is always there for his teammates.

“I always support my team,” Clark said. “I love my team more than anything, wether I’m here supporting or in the stands supporting, I’m always here for them. I wish these guys the best and I believe in all of them.”

Last night was Senior Night for the wrestling team, celebrating their only senior, Dameion Rutledge. Rutledge was joined in front of the crowd by his mother and sister as he was introduced as the one senior for SHS wrestling. Rutledge thanked his mother and coach Walpole for supporting him. Rutledge then shook hands with Walpole before pinning his opponent.

Senior wrestling manager Brandi Ford was also recognized before the meet joined by her mother.

The wrestlers will have their next opportunity to compete in the Conference Indiana tournament this Saturday at Franklin Central High School. According to Walpole this is a tournament the wrestlers have been preparing for since the beginning of the season.