Red Devil’s match-up adds to Cardinal’s fueled fire

Senior+Malik+Bennett+pulls+up+for+a+jump+shot+while+being+covered+by+a+Park+Tudor+defender.+Bennett+attended+Pike+during+his+freshman+season.+

Niki Smithers

Senior Malik Bennett pulls up for a jump shot while being covered by a Park Tudor defender. Bennett attended Pike during his freshman season.

Justin Ray, Reporter

With the SHS boys basketball team still reminiscing over the loss from last year’s sectional final to Pike, the Cards get their chance at revenge tonight as they face off against the Pike Red Devils in the semi-final round of the Marion County tournament.

This is a significant game for a couple of people. Assistant coach Chris Thomas played for Pike and was awarded Mr. Basketball for the 2001 season, which was the year that they won the 4A State championship.

“It’s more about our guys now it’s not about me,” Thomas said. “I am looking forward to it though, they are always a good team, they (have) good coaches.”

This game is also significant for senior guard Malik Bennett. He played for Pike as a freshman, and switched to Southport his sophomore year due to educational issues.

“It feels good playing against my friends, it’s going to be a fun game (tonight),” Bennett said.

Southport is coming off of a win against Park Tudor 54-47, while Pike is coming off of a 68-66 away win against Lawrence Central. Southport comes into the game ranked first in the state and Pike comes in ranked eighth in the state.

Southport has a record of 12-0 and only has had three wins less than double digit, and 3-0 in their conference play, while Pike is 8-2 and 2-1 in their conference play.

“I want to torture them, bad,” Bennett said.

The Cards and the Red Devils square off at 7:45 tonight, directly following the Warren Central Warriors and the Ben Davis Giants game.