Pike upsets Cardinals in 4OT

Justin Ray

Junior Eli Walton breaks past a Pike defender. Walton fouled out in the fourth overtime in the 92-86 loss.

Justin Ray, Reporter

Forty-eight minutes of basketball instead of the normal 32 minutes. The game was nearly at the three hour mark. The SHS fieldhouse was packed, including a full student section dressed in neon due to it being neon night. There were 64 total fouls and 9 players that fouled out between both teams.

Both teams came off of wins in the Marion County Tournament but only one team could could become victorious and advance to the finals. Pike gave SHS to its first loss of the season, winning in quadruple overtime, 92-86.

Junior Joey Brunk scored 32 points and had 14 total rebounds. Senior Malik Bennett scored 24 points, had five rebounds, and two assists. Sophomore Paul Scruggs scored 16 points, had 4 rebounds, five assists, and one block. Junior Eli Walton scored seven points, six rebounds, and three assists. Senior DeMari Davis scored six points and three rebounds.

Head coach Kyle Simpson says during his post-game addressing of the players, that one of the teams pre-season goals was to win county. The other goals were to win the Hall-of-Fame classic, win the Conference Indiana title, and win State. Yes, one of the goals is gone, but the Cards still have a long way to go.

“You don’t want to feel this way again,” head coach Kyle Simpson said. “I challenge you now, (to figure out) what (you are) going to do to be better come March.”

Brunk played 47 minutes and 39 seconds of that 48 minutes. With seven players fouling out, Brunk had to play to make up for the loss of the rest of the starters.

Bennett, who went to Pike his freshman year, says that they can’t let this loss dwell, they have to keep their heads up and move on.

“We just got to get through it and go to the next game,” Bennett said.

The Cards play at home on Tuesday against Lawrence North at 7 p.m.