Journal Address

Students should be more grateful for what SHS provides them

Journal+Address

On Sept. 17, SHS held their annual homecoming dance, and more than enough chaos broke out. Amidst what was true and what was not, rumors were flying. While it’s unfortunate that a small group of people altered the experience of over one thousand others, the outcry of concern from all sides of the area shows just how supportive and caring the SHS community is. 

This thanksgiving season, The Journal’s editorial board is using Journal Address to show appreciation for the SHS community. From the students, to the teachers, to the administration and beyond, these people never cease in their relentless pursuit to make this place better. 

This year SHS has been adding clubs, sports, classes, post-secondary help and more than can be listed. 

There is now a literary magazine, a student-ran club that’s creating a new outlet for art to be displayed and appreciated. A Model United Nations club, for creating new leaders and a bowling club. Boys volleyball and girls wrestling are going from club sports, something with less support and often seen as less legitimate, to emerging sports, the title given to sports in the process of reaching the same recognition as other established ones. And, the counseling department has been pushing students to seek information on post-secondary options and providing resources accordingly. 

On the counselors’ canvas page, weaved in between the useful resources such as dozens of links to college and scholarship information, there are mental health resources too. And the support doesn’t stop at videos about mental health and fulfilling a job description. One can feel genuine care from the counselors just in asking a question. In counselor Briana Underwood’s email signature, she doesn’t just have her title and name, but also the suicide hotline number. At SHS support is embedded, even in emails.

Overseeing all of this, SHS has a supportive administration that is approving these changes.  

The Journal has received so much support from SHS principal Brian Knight, that he was awarded ‘Administrator of the Year’ by the Journalism Education Association. This national award was given to SHS’s very own principal over the rest of the country. Now awards aren’t everything, but any student on The Journal staff that has interviewed Knight can vouch that he devotes his attention and time to the students, no matter what the topic is. 

And, the current group of SHS students aren’t just reaping the benefits of a few great community members currently active, this is a deep-rooted part of SHS. There are many teachers that have come back to SHS after graduating here. Art teacher Breanna Beirod, English teacher Brent Bockelman and social studies teacher Kenton Armbruster are just a few of the many alumni back at SHS, still contributing to the community. 

After the events of homecoming, amidst the swirl of rumors, there were disgruntled complaints from students about how “horrible” the school is. In retrospect, the way the administration and community reacted was empathetic and rational. 

With such a great place surrounding them, SHS students should try to reciprocate this same supportive energy to the community. Whether that be through school spirit, expressing gratitude to teachers or just lending a helping hand to a fellow classmate, there are endless ways to make SHS a stronger community for everyone on the student body’s behalf.