Wrestlers primed and ready for sectional

Ty Conatser

Sophomore Robert Clark after he wins his round against Perry Meridian. Clark is one of the participants in the 182 pound weight class at the sectional.

Ty Conatser, Reporter

One of the most prestigious achievements for a high school wrestler in Indiana is winning the State Tournament. Every journey, however requires the first step toward the destination. For the SHS wrestlers, Sectionals is step one on their journey to State.

The sectional tournament is the first tournament in a series of tournaments that ends with the final tournament: the State Tournament. According to head coach Dave Walpole, the Wrestlers have been training all season and are currently continuing training for sectionals.

“We have trained hard for sectionals and continue to raise our work pace in the wrestling room each day at practice.” Walpole wrote in an e-mail to the journal.

For the SHS wrestlers, experience is essential right now, Walpole says. At practice, the team relies on four wrestlers who have advanced past sectionals in the past. These wrestlers are senior Dameion Rutledge, and sophomores Brett Wright, Tyler Rhoades and Robert Clark. These wrestlers have been setting the example for the other wrestlers by leading drills in practice and live wrestling.

Clark he believes that he leads by example. He says he thinks coming in every day and working hard will inspire the rest of the team to do the same.

“I’ve put in lots of extra practice,” Clark said. “lots of mental practice, staying focused in and out of the (wrestling) room and just thinking about the sectional championship. I’m more of the ‘lead by example’ kind of guy so i just work hard in the room and bust my butt and everybody else can do what they want to do.”

The SHS wrestlers will begin the Sectional tournament this Saturday, Jan. 31 at Tech high school at 9:00 AM. If they advance past sectionals, they will compete in the Regional tournament the next Saturday, Feb. 7 at Perry Meridian high school at 9:00 AM.