Cards look to avenge last year’s loss to Franklin Community

Niki Smithers

Sophomore Paul Scruggs pulls up his shot on the way to the basket. Paul fouled out in the third overtime in the loss to Pike.

Justin Ray, Reporter

The SHS boys basketball team will be playing Franklin Community this Saturday. The game will be played at 7:30 in the field house.

The Cardinals are currently 13-2 and 4-0 in their conference. The Grizzly Cubs are 6-9 and 2-2 in their conference.

“We’ll make the necessary adjustments to get ready for Saturday’s game,” SHS boys basketball head coach Kyle Simpson said.

According to Maxpreps, SHS is ranked third in the state. Franklin Community is ranked 192nd in the state.

Junior Joey Brunk is leading SHS in average for points per game right now with 17.7. Junior Andrew Hartkorn is leading Franklin Community in average for points per game with eight.

“They’ve got a couple of solid players that play hard, they get after you (in their) man to man,” Simpson said. “They are a scrappy team so if we will come ready to play they will give us a pretty good game.”

Simpson thinks that the Birdcage will need to be there. It is keeping the players and fans hyped for the games.

Brunk thinks that SHS needs to continue to play as a team. Before their big win last game against Terre Haute they lost two games in a row. He doesn’t think it really changed the team emotionally.

“We are going to continue to work and play hard,” Brunk said.

Following this game the Cardinals will be playing Perry Meridian. Franklin Community will play Roncalli the following game.