An ‘old soul’ in a 15 year old body

Riley Hyatt, Reporter

An old soul can be described as someone who’s, “Old in heart, old in mind and old in soul, this person is an old soul who finds his (or her) outlook on life vastly different and more matured than those around him,” according to lonerwolf.com. I feel that many of my characteristics mirror those of “older people.” And, Although I don’t spend my nights at bingo or knitting sweaters for people who have no desire to wear them, I believe I have an old soul.

I have been told I dress, and periodically act, like a mom.

I find that “mom-like” necessities are vital to have with me at all times. You can count on me to have, and frequently whip out, crucial “mom” items that I need to go about my everyday life.  For example, I always have lotion, chapstick, an abundance of pens and pencils (although, I rarely share them) and hand sanitizer with me at school. Not to mention, snacks. You can bet that when and if I choose to have children, they won’t go without snacks. Ever. As far as my wardrobe is concerned, I simply crave a more vintage style and will never oppose a trip to Goodwill to find hand-me-downs that I can make my own. I adore my mom’s sweatshirts from her college days and often tell her to stop wearing my clothes (even though, they’re actually hers that I have adopted).

I’m constantly stressing the importance of skin care.

For some people, first impressions come from another person’s eyes,or their smile. But for me, I notice complexion.

“Mom,” I find myself saying. “You shouldn’t sleep with your makeup on. It’s bad for your skin.”

Or, “Dad, don’t put that lotion on your skin. It’s better to use a moisturizer formulated for your  face.”

And yes, I do actually say those things. I might have a future career in skin care or I might be slightly obsessed. Either way, my family knows the first thing I’ll say when I see someone  I find attractive.

“They have a really nice complexion.”

I enjoy home decor.

If my mom is making a casual trip to Pier One, I’m delighted to attend, making mental notes along the way. Ikea is one of my happy places (let’s be honest, it’s everyone’s) and my idea of a perfect home comes from magazines and the DIY Network I occasionally watch with my dad. It bores my sister and my mom usually finds other things to do but I’m intrigued by shows such as “Rehab Addict” and “Kitchen Crashers.”

Being alone doesn’t make me feel lonely.

Even as a child, I had the ability to entertain myself with ease. I would play “house” or “teacher” and talk to my “class” while assigning the same homework to my students as I was that day at school. Even now, I enjoy the quiet peacefulness of being the first to wake up in the morning and coming home to an empty house. I like watching youtube videos or reading in my bed at night, opposed to going to a friends house. Not to say that I never have exciting nights watching movies and gossiping like the teenage girl that I am, but i’m just as content to stay home.

I’m responsible and organized.

This can be largely contributed to the fact that I write in an agenda every day and strive have a to do list made everyday. I like to know what I have to do, when it has to be done and how long it’s going to take me. This not only relieves stress that I accumulate during the school week  but also keeps me organized (and sane).

While I sat on the couch completing my weekend homework, my mom once said. “You’re like an old lady trapped in the body of a 15 year old,” and I couldn’t agree more. As I drink a cup of tea and enjoy an episode of House Hunters on a Friday night, I’m proud to call myself an old soul.