Students excited for chance to see boys basketball team take the road to the state championship

Brad Davis

The “Birdcage” primed and ready to cheer for the Cards as the team takes on rival Perry Meridian. It was “Red Out Night” at the basketball game and the student section was filled with students.

Niki Smithers, Reporter

SHS’s “Birdcage” is always filled from bottom to top when the number two ranked Cardinals boys basketball team looks for their next win. Whether they’re holding up issues of The Journal when the announcer calls out the opponents starters, or singing  the school song “Hail, Southport”, the student fan base will play a part as the Cardinals prepare take the road to state.

Senior Danielle Keeler believes both on the court and in the student section, school spirit and emotion will play a major role in the outcome of the Cardinals’ season.

“(Junior) Joey (Brunk), (senior) Malik (Bennett), and (sophomore) Paul (Scruggs) will all be key players,” Keeler said. “They have a lot of spirit. When they’re in, it really helps everyone else get up, And I think when there are more students cheering together, the team does better because the spirits are high.”

As the Cards progress through their season, junior Zak Brite says teamwork will be the reason the team is going to be successful in the postseason.

“I think it all depends on the team and if they can learn to play together because if they can, like i know that can, then I think they can win it all,” Brite said. “I think the people coming off the bench will be key player because all of our starters are good and if they people coming of the bench can perform then I think they can do it.”

The road to state won’t be easy for the Cards. However, with both spirit and emotions running high, the Birdcage is ready to cheer their team on until the end.