Cards defeat Stars in high scoring affair

Mark Carlson

Sophomore Paul Scruggs shoots the second free throw after making his first against Bedford North. Scruggs had 36 points and a double-double to help the Cards beat the Stars 91-59.

Mark Carlson, Reporter

Thursday night, the Cardinals scored a season high 91 points to beat the Bedford North Stars, 91-59.  The Cardinals were lead in scoring by Sophomore Paul Scruggs who posted a career high 36 points on 76 percent shooting.

The Cardinals shared the ball well with 23 of their 34 field goals coming off of assists.  Scruggs also lead the team in assists with eight.

“The thing that steps out on me is that you got 23 assists on 34 made field goals so obviously we shared the ball, and Paul (Scruggs) played really well,” said Coach Kyle Simpson.

The Stars came out on defense and limited Junior Joey Brunk to 13 points, four below his season average. However Senior Malik Bennett and Scruggs combined for 56 points. 18 of Bennett’s 20 point came off of 60 percent three-point shooting.

“I was just trying to help the team,”said Scruggs. “I was trying to facilitate the ball a lot, get a lot of assists, get a lot of rebounds because points really don’t matter to me.”

The Cardinals defense was a “little ragged at times” according to Simpson.  They allowed nine points above their season average for points allowed per game.

Senior DeMari Davis was resting an injured knee Thursday. He had it examined before the game and it was “nothing serious” but they will rest him for a couple games as a precaution.