SHS wins Conference Indiana title out right

Justin Ray

Sophomore Paul Scruggs drives to the basket with a defenders following him. Scruggs had 23 of his 25 points during the first half and contributed to the cards defense.

Justin Ray, Reporter

SHS outscored Terre Haute South three out of the four quarters. The win streak for SHS is now at eight straight games.

SHS beat Terre Haute South 79-46 for the Conference Indiana title. SHS led the first quarter 17-6.

“Our defense set the tone from the start and then we took care of business from there,” boys basketball head coach Kyle Simpson said. “I was really proud of the kids and I thought they were unselfish and it was a good team win.”

Simpson still feels that SHS is still struggling with free throw shooting. They made 66.7% of their free throws during the game. The team is not at where he wants them to be when it comes to free throw shooting, Simpson says.

It was also the 25th anniversary of the 1990 SHS Boys’ Final Four basketball team. They were celebrated by the crowd at the end of the junior varsity game. That team consisted of players and coaches such as hall of fame coach Bill Springer and 1991 Indiana All-Star Marlon Fleming.

There were no lead changes or ties. SHS led the whole game. Junior Joey Brunk scored 15 points, nine rebounds, three assists, and two blocks. Junior Eli Walton scored eight points, three rebounds, and two assists. Senior Malik Bennett scored 18 points, three rebounds, and one assist.

Sophomore Paul Scruggs scored 25 points, four rebounds, and five assists. 23 of his 25 points were in the first half.

“We came out and wanted the conference championship,” Scruggs said.

SHS will play Evansville Reitz on Feb. 28 at home at 3:30.