Uniting through sports

SHS students connect with their community through sport events
Senior Sui Kong with her village, Aibur, at the ZCAY sports event. 
Photo contributed by ZCAY Facebook.
Senior Sui Kong with her village, Aibur, at the ZCAY sports event. Photo contributed by ZCAY Facebook.

ZCAY, Zophei Community of American Youth, is an organization for Zophei, a community in the Chin state, Burma. Athletes bond with other young adults in their community. Senior Fedi Sui has been taking part in the games since seventh grade.

“It brings everyone closer, and I feel like that’s one of the main parts of ZCAY,” Sui said.

The organization puts on tournaments for young adults to participate in. The sports they play includes volleyball for the girls and soccer for the boys.

The practices for the tournaments start in May and go through June, which is when they start the games. When they play, they play in a competition between the villages.

Sui really enjoys participating in these activities. Before the tournaments, there are sleepovers and meetings for team bonding.

“I just think that really brings our group together and abilities together,” Sui said. 

Sui enjoys showing off her talents to and with people from her community.

“I just wanted to have fun and represent my village,” Sui said.

Senior Sui Kong is also a member of ZCAY. She joined two years ago as she loves volleyball and wanted to play on behalf of her village.

The events have helped bring students, not just from Indiana, together and has helped Kong make some lasting connections.

“Thanks to some of those events, I’ve been able to get really close to people in my own school that I wouldn’t have really talked to,” Kong said.

ZCAY tries to raise money for their families back home going through a war, which has caused thousands to lose their lives and millions to be displaced, through some of these events. They’ll fundraise by selling parking tickets and shirts.

“We put a lot of effort into getting money,” Kong said.

Kong has a good time at these events whether she is winning or losing. It helps her see all the effort she’s put into practicing come to life.

Overall, Kong has very positive views on ZCAY and it has impacted her life greatly.

“I think it’s a very fun experience to watch and play in,” Kong said.