Broadening Horizons

There are other post-high school options than college
Broadening Horizons

Many SHS seniors are starting to think hard about their future. Usually, when people hear that, they all think of the same word. College. For a lot of students, this is correct, senior year is when they start to apply to, and visit colleges. Although college is a great opportunity for many, it’s not right for everyone. So, what are the other options?

Trade school is a huge opportunity for students who don’t plan on going to college. Trade school is a post-high school training that trains students for a certain career. It usually trains people for a more “hands-on” job. Many of these are often called “blue-collar jobs”. 

A great opportunity that is offered here at SHS is a program called Central Nine Career Center (C-9). This program allows students to leave SHS at an earlier time, go to C-9, and are able to complete both high school and trade school at the same time. Many of these students will also already have a job lined up once they graduate high school. 

Another more commonly known option is enlisting in the military.

If someone likes structure, this might be a good choice for them. The different branches are the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Space Force and Coast Guard. Although it may seem like there are only certain things people do in the military, there are many different jobs throughout the branches.

If students would like to learn more about the military, look around the cafeteria during the lunch periods because many times volunteers from different branches are there. The volunteers will talk, ask and answer questions, and provide lots of information. 

If kids are born in the later months of the school year (May, June or July) they may only be 17 years old when they graduate. Or just have turned 18. 

Being this young makes it hard to make life decisions. Most people haven’t decided what they want to do with their lives by their sophomore year of college, let alone at 17 years old.

This is where the idea of a gap year comes into play. Students can take a year off and get a job to save money. Or take a trip to Europe and “find themselves.” 

It’s really just a year to try and figure out what to do in the future. Some end up going to college, while others choose to train for a trade or join the military. 

These are just a few options, there are still so many more out there. The other pathways that don’t involve college are not talked about nearly enough. College may be the right choice for some, but it’s just not for everyone.