The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Beyond the Bleachers

Why do only sporting events gain attention?
Beyond the Bleachers

When your teachers, administrators and other students preach “school spirit!” and “student support!” Why does this only apply to sporting events? 

While the football stadiums are packed with students and parents, several students in the school’s music department have noticed the lack of support and recognition for our schools’ talented singers and musicians. The hope is to eliminate questions like, “Do we even have an orchestra?” 

Choir Student, Lexi Nix, expresses her frustration about the lack of support at the school’s choir performances. “We put a lot of work into it just for it not to be seen,” She also feels as if the school does not advertise or represent the school’s musical events well enough. 

Our auditorium can hold up to 1246 people. Now, why are there several empty seats at our school’s orchestra concerts? Most students have no problem supporting the football team on a Friday night, or basketball team on a Tuesday night? So why should a brief Wednesday night concert lack so much student support? 

Listening to the orchestra, choir and band is not just entertaining and beautiful. It is downright inspiring. Whether or not the music inspires you to pick up an instrument or work hard at a craft you already pursue, it is worth the visit. 

Sure, some could argue that the band gets loads of support. However, this could be a direct result of the sporting events that they are required to play at. Regardless, Southport’s band should not go unnoticed for their hard work as they put on a great show every single time. 

All performances choir, band and orchestra are free despite their lack of outside funding due to the recent change in laws. It is heavily encouraged that you give your skilled classmates the chance and promote school spirit in every part of our school. 

If you want to help, donate to the Southport High School Performing Arts Booster.