Journal+Address

Journal Address

School fights shouldn’t be used for entertainment

On Feb.1, Perry Meridian High School witnessed a distressing incident when a substitute teacher, Rob Gooding, was assaulted by a 16-year-old student, who struck him with a laptop and punched him in the face. Gooding, seeking justice, brought the incident to the media attention, expressing his disappointment that the student faced no criminal charges. The news quickly spread across social media platforms, sparking a range of contrasting opinions. Some supported Gooding, advocating for stricter consequences, while others cited factors such as the student’s age and background to justify their disagreement.

Amidst this debate, there were those who viewed this incident as mere entertainment and gossip. This troubling trend of sensationalizing school violence for amusement requires more attention. Unfortunately, the Perry Meridian incident is just one example of many where such behavior has become normalized. While diverse perspectives on issues like school violence are inevitable, it is essential to recognize the moral wrongness of exploiting the pain and suffering of others for entertainment purposes. 

When fights occur in the hallways and bathrooms of high schools, many students rally in circles to record and build up the heat of the fights. These fights are then publicized on social media where news spreads within seconds. Shockingly, some individuals even curate instagram accounts solely dedicated to showcasing these violent encounters at school. In these accounts, videos of students punching and pulling hair are displayed. While these students are getting injured, there are people behind the screen laughing at their actions further stirring emotional trauma to the students involved in fights. 

While the initial intention of school fights may remain unknown, math teacher Jack Williams believes it may start within their homes. Williams’ class is located in the center of SHS where many fights occur, and Williams is often the first person to take action when such incidents occur. 

“For some students, the environment that they grew up in has essentially conditioned them so that that’s a natural response, physical aggression, “ Williams said. 

Many students who come to school may resort to school violence as they lack the ability to de-escalate their problems. By fostering a culture of empathy and accountability, safer and more inclusive school environments can be created for all. It is important to be mindful consumers of media content by avoiding sharing or engaging with content that glorifies school violence.