Perry Township Education Foundation offers Coach Hathaway’s Scholarship

Grace Iang, Reporter

The Perry Township Education Foundation’s Coach Hathaway’s Scholarship is for seniors who are planning to attend the University of Indianapolis. Hathaway was known for running 131 marathons as well as several other races with his famous finish of the Running South event as the oldest to complete the race at age 79. He was also well known for his accomplishment of running one marathon in each of the 50 states which had earned him a place in the 50 states marathon Club. Locally, he is most known for his cross-country and track coaching throughout Perry Township, but mostly at Southport, for 44 years. The scholarship is worth 500 dollars. Each of the applicants must write a one page essay with a minimum of 350 words that includes how their previous involvement in different activities and or sports have played a role throughout their high school experience as well as a brief autobiographical sketch to give a simplistic description as to who they are as a person. The deadline for the upcoming Coach Hathaway’s Scholarship will be on April 10, 2015. All student applications are to be turned in to the guidance office by the due date. For an online pdf of the Coach Hathaway Scholarship, click the following link:

http://runningsouth.weebly.com/uploads/4/2/6/9/42694633/coach-hathaway-scholarship-app1.pdf