Walk-off home runs helps Lady Cards beat the Falcons

Junior+Haleigh+Keen+winds+her+pitch+up+during+the+bottom+of+the+2nd+inning+against+Perry+Meridian.+Keen+pitched+9+innings%2C+allowed+5+runs+and+hit+two+batters+in+her+win.+

Brad Davis

Junior Haleigh Keen winds her pitch up during the bottom of the 2nd inning against Perry Meridian. Keen pitched 9 innings, allowed 5 runs and hit two batters in her win.

Brad Davis, Reporter

The Lady Cards got the win tonight against their rivals, the Perry Meridian Falcons, 7-5 in nine innings. Junior Shelby Hunt hit a walk-off home run in the top of the ninth to set the Cards up with the win.

Hunt had two runs, and also had three RBIs. Hunt said she was “living the dream” by beating the Falcons.

“I was ready to hit the ball,” Hunt said. “I knew that I had to.”

Junior Haleigh Keen pitched all nine innings and she says that the coach kept making sure that she could continue to pitch, and she was never tired and always ready. Keen only allowed five runs. Keen’s pitching and the Lady Cards defense shut the Falcons out during the last three innings.

Head coach Scott Montgomery told the team before the beginning of extra innings to keep fighting. He says that there would be a hit that brought in the runners the team needed because of the fact that the team was hitting so well.

“We were hitting the ball well all night,” Montgomery said. “We just had to keep our defense up, and put the pressure on them to make them crack.”

The Lady Cards play next tomorrow, at Fishers high school at 6 p.m. Montgomery says that the batting line-up won’t change because of the success against the Falcons.