SHS adds new administrator to staff

Caleb Carrasquillo

New administrator Mr. Eric Woodke

SHS is welcoming Mr. Eric Woodke as the newest member to our administrative staff. Woodke’s position is working alongside Mr. A.J. Martzall in the dean’s office as the assistant principal in charge of discipline. .

Woodke says handling discipline can be difficult at times because students act out for different reasons. He hopes to make a positive impact on the students of SHS.

“I plan on making a difference by getting involved with the students and getting to know them as individuals,” Woodke said.

Woodke, who has a bachelors degree from Franklin College and a masters from IU was previously a dean at Franklin Community High School and came to SHS after Mrs. Elizabeth Walters left her position as assistant principal in the main office. Walters was then replaced by Mr. Kirby Schott, so that left his position to fill.

On July 20, Principal Barbara Brouwer posted the job opening online, and received over 30 applications. Of those 30, only nine were interviewed in the first round. Ultimately, only 3 of those 9 applicants moved on to a second round of interviews. Brouwer says that conclusively, Woodke was chosen because of his previous experience, and his philosophy on discipline corresponded with SHS’s.

“I think he’s a great fit here,” Brouwer said. “We look forward to him joining the staff here and having an opportunity to positively impacts kids.”