Counting down the 5 biggest SHS stories of 2015: 5 Class of 1965 reunion

From the field to the court to the kids and more, these are the stories the Journal deemed most memorable of 2015.

Graduates of the class of 1965 converse at the reunion on Sept. 12.

Photo contributed by Gwen Freeman

Riley Hyatt, News editor

On June 1,1965, 494 hopeful SHS seniors walked across the stage in front of thousands of their family and friends and received their diploma signifying the completion of their high school career. Fifty years later on Sept. 12, 2015, 225 people convened to celebrate the 50th anniversary of those alumni’s graduation from SHS.

But even more so, according to Alumni Association President Jay Danner, these alumni were prepared to share the immense pride they have in their high school and the community in which they spent, arguably, the most transforming and important years of their life.

“That class is very prideful and for many reasons,” Danner said.  “They have been a strong supporter of Southport High School, of the Alumni Association, of scholarships to seniors.”

1965 graduate and school board president Gwen Freeman was the head coordinator of the event and says the community of Southport played a role in her high school career.

“When we were in highschool that’s what everyone did,” Freeman said. “We went to all ball games..so that the field house was full when there was a basketball game.”

Danner says the class of 65 did a lot to make their reunion great and to make the alumni association feel overly appreciated and brought to the forefront.