Expressing individuality whether through sweatpants or a bow tie

Photo by Leah Newhouse

Senior Eddie VanBaale wears a tie almost everyday to school. VanBaale does not believe that dressing up is necessary at school.

Destiny Bryant, Reporter

One plans his outfit the night before, preparing for the next day to reduce the time spent getting ready. The other tends to wake up and grab the most comfy pair of sweats he owns and finds a matching t-shirt to go along.
Senior Terrell Caldwell tends to come dressed more comfortably. However, senior Eddie VanBaale dresses formally every single day just because he says it is his style.
“It’s just like anyone else picking out an outfit,” VanBaale said. “It’s a lot easier than what people think.”
VanBaale and Caldwell both agree that they do not necessarily think that it matters if students dress up or dress down. They say that it should be based on one’s preferences. On the other side, English teacher Sara Kohne says that students should express their individuality, but it is important to know how to dress for the professional world.
Caldwell partakes in many athletic activities so dressing in more athletic clothing at school is more of his style. Caldwell says that it should not matter whether other students wear to school.
“I don’t think it should matter at all,” Caldwell said. “Like if you want to dress up , you should dress up.”
He says that there are times when he takes the time to actually dress up, but that falls about once a month.
“Me, I have a lot more athletic clothes,” Caldwell said. “Eddie, though, he has all kinds of dress pants and dress shirts.”
VanBaale and Terrell are both in agreement that it should not matter what other students wear, but instead it should be based on one’s personal preference.
“I think people can wear whatever we want,” VanBaale said. “I think it’s pretty cool that I’m one of the only people who do it.”
Kohne agrees with VanBaale and Caldwell, saying that students should express their individual expression, but to a degree where they are not distracting other students.
“I think that part of the hidden curriculum is to teach students to be respectful of themselves and others,” Kohne said.
Kohne says that dressing professionally is an important life skill that students will be able to take into the workforce later in life.
“I think people should look professional,” Kohne said. “And I think there is a way to look casual, yet professional and we should translate that to students.”
Kohne also says that dress is a part of one’s individual expression but for some jobs, looking professional is a skill students will soon need. Although the workforce, she says, is transitioning to more of a casual look, but it is still going to have a professional edge to it.