Auto theft increase robs cars of safety

Officer Steve DeBoard gives advice to owners of vehicles

Jacob Bleadsoe

Of the 209 students who were polled, 78% did not know someone who had their vehicle stolen and 22% said they did.

Ximena Sarinana, Reporter

Sophomore Jaymen Christian’s uncle parked his car next to Post road one day when a thief hit one of the car windows with a baseball bat and shattered it to get inside the vehicle. When Christian’s uncle went back outside, the car was nowhere to be seen.

“He (Christian’s uncle) leaves his car unlocked since he is a very trustworthy guy,” Christian said.

Because it is common to see families struggling to make it financially, Christian says the position the robbers put his family in is corrupt.

“Everyone is trying to help (my uncle) out while he finds a new car,” Christian said.

There are more SHS students other than Christian that have been affected by the increase in auto theft in Indianapolis this year whether it be directly or indirectly. SHS police officer Steve DeBoard says there are steps that can be taken in order to increase the security of student vehicles.

DeBoard mentions that when someone parks their vehicle in a parking lot, they should always use common sense. He recommends to lock the vehicle  and not to leave valuables in clear view for the people outside to easily see, since that’s the main reasons cars get stolen, according to DeBoard.

“Don’t make it easier (for them). Too many (people)make it easy and so it’s going to get stolen,” DeBoard said.

One of Christian’s relatives even takes the extra step to park  their car around the back of their house so it’s not as easily accessible as the cars who are visible from the street, according to Christian.  

In 2015, 5,312 motor vehicles were reported stolen in Indianapolis compared to 4,485 auto thefts reported in in 2009. The amount of cars stolen has increased this year during the colder months according to www.wndu.com

“Auto theft,  have always been a big deal, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a small town, a medium size town or a large city. The number of theft and auto thefts are probably one of the biggest threats,” DeBoard said.

Although DeBoard has taken part in car chases because of stolen vehicles, he has not yet been alerted to an auto theft at SHS.

When asked if SHS students should care more about trying to catch the thiefs or finding a way to prevent cars from getting stolen,  DeBoard says that catching the thieves is the police’s job and students should try to be smart with the choices they make when it comes to their vehicles.