Presidential candidates, on your marks

Marco Rubio, Ben Carson and John Kasich

Andrew Tapp, Reporter

Marco Rubio

Senator Marco Rubio, 44, is the youngest Presidential candidate of the 2016 election. After more candidates drop out, he is expected to become the popular candidate within the party, which can be seen in recent polling.

Rubio believes that the U.S. should work together with its allies to take ISIS out. He is a supporter of troops on the ground and expanding the current airstrikes. He also believes that the U.S. should show its victories around the world on TV to inspire others to join the fight.

On the issue of abortion, Rubio says that he doesn’t want to tell anyone how to live their lives, but that he personally believes that it should be illegal. He says a basic right for everyone is the right to live. He spoke out against President Obama’s anti-gun executive orders, citing the second amendment to the Constitution as his evidence. While Rubio has not come out in support of free college, he has said that he would like to create a program where investors can help pay for students education over time in exchange for a small portion of the student’s income.

Overall, being the youngest candidate and hispanic should help him win. However, should he not emerge victorious, he definitely can run again in the future.

Ben Carson
Neurosurgeon Benjamin Carson, 64, is one of the five candidates for the Republican nomination for President. He, like Donald Trump, has never before held a political position. 

Carson, in his seven step plan to take out ISIS, calls for Congress to declare war on ISIS, the U.S. to work with its allies, using natives to help in the fighting and establish a refugee safe zone among other things.

Carson has stated that he condemns Planned Parenthood and is against abortion, but he also said that America should invest in better care for women instead. He is a strong supporter of the second amendment stating, “without the right to bear arms, American citizens would be unable to stand against a tyrannical government or foreign invader.” Carson is not a supporter of free college but says that across the country tuition costs and student loans should be lowered so that the next generation is ready for a competitive global market.

John Kasich

Governor John Kasich, 63, is now running his second campaign to become the Republican nominee for President of the United States.

Kasich thinks that America should work with its NATO allies and the Kurdish army already fighting ISIS to take them out.

He just signed a bill that stops the state from using services that do abortions. The bill didn’t directly say Planned Parenthood, but it will stop $1 million from going to the organization. Kasich is a strong supporter of the second amendment passing legislation as Governor of Ohio that enforces the amendment in the state. In his 2014 reelection for governor, the National Rifle Association endorsed stating that they liked how much of a supporter of the second amendment he is. As governor he has helped keep college prices as some of the lowest in the country and has even frozen tuition rates while a task force goes to each college and university to see how they could costs to make college more of a dream for all.