Don’t let the senioritis get you down

Abigail Barrett, Editor-in-Chief

A complete lack of desire to do homework. Accepting Cs in classes where you could easily get As. Procrastinating like you never have before. These are all signs of the dreaded disease that plagues us all at some point in our high school careers. Senioritis, the perfect synonym to lazy.

As the average honors student here at SHS, I have a schedule my senior year that is still reasonably packed in an effort to save money and time in college. I have two dual credit classes that I’m taking, and to some people, that’s nothing. AP classes and dual credit courses litter our schedules, so in all honesty, we can’t afford to get lazy a semester or two or three before graduation.

Now don’t get me wrong, for seniors there is a definite tendency to slack off and generally not care about high school anymore as May 27 gets ever nearer. However, freshmen, sophomores, juniors, my dears, I can guarantee that you guys don’t have senioritis, you’re honestly just being lazy.

If you want to call slipping into the void of laziness “senioritis,” then be my guest. All I’m saying is that we can’t afford to succumb to it. According to the College Board, 33.2 percent of high school seniors took at least one AP exam in 2014, and about 27 percent of that 33.2 percent were low-income students. While the grant that gave us $100 for passing a math, science or English AP test expired, thousands of dollars can still be saved by passing an AP test.

And that doesn’t even factor in dual credit where you’re practically guaranteed to receive college credit. SHS has a great dual credit program. It’s honestly just attending IU from SHS classrooms, and there are very few colleges or universities that don’t accept IU transfer credit. These grades will be going on your college transcript, so if you allow for senioritis to take over, your GPA will be in the toilet before you take a step on campus.

As for underclassmen that claim they have senioritis, even more is at stake for you. The myth is true, colleges really do look at your grades and GPA. Sometimes, if you have Bs and Cs on your transcript when you send it in, the colleges will ask for an updated transcript that includes grades from the first semester of your senior year. Sometimes, if your GPA is at or below the average accepted at the school of your dreams, they’ll overlook you. They’ll especially overlook you if you have an average GPA and don’t participate in extracurriculars, but that’s an argument for another time.

Now if all this doesn’t sway you to fight the call of senioritis, how about the possibility of colleges rescinding their offers? According to an article in The New York Times, in 2007 the University of Michigan sent out 62 warning letters, 180 letters to students mandating an essay explaining the drop in their grades with “supporting documentation from a physician, counselor, principal, teacher or any other person who can support your letter of explanation” and nine letters rescinding their offer of admission.

An article on thecollegeboard.com gives tips on how to stay driven in the few months leading up to graduation. One that stood out to me is to not be too obsessed with the college admissions process. I, for one, have been entirely too obsessed with the “admissions process.” Currently, I am checking my email hourly to see if my orientation invitation email has arrived yet. It makes the hype for college more present and the drag of high school seem to be irrelevant and a useless nuisance.

Another thing the article suggests is to keep a calendar of events, activities and projects. I have always been an avid planner keeper, and now that I think about it, it really does help keep me motivated and in the moment. If you have something to look forward to or a goal you need to achieve, it makes the dragging on of the school year just a tad more bearable.

So it actually does happen. The college of your dreams that you think is already in your grasp can be snatched right back. And while senioritis does happen, too, it’s all just a matter of self control and knowing how to keep going even when it seems like you’re already done.