Success is more than winning for CyberCards

SHS robotics team travels to Worlds for first time in 12 year team history

(L to R) Freshman John Gunderson, juniors Zhu Ling Paige and Tyler Hinton prepare the controls to their robot before a competition.

Hailey McKinney, Reporter

After winning the state title on April 16, the SHS CyberCards traveled 244 miles from home to compete at the world championship in St Louis, MO.

Junior Jeremy Roy says he’s proud of how far his team came.

“We worked really hard and we won a state championship and made it to worlds,” Roy said. “That’s the most we’ve accomplished in the 12 years we’ve been a team.”

After the CyberCards placed first in their division at state, they were able to advance to the world competition for the first time in over a decade.Over all, the Cyber Cards placed 45 out of 75 total teams in their division. They were judged based on their entrepreneurship, their robot and how well the robot performed during the game.

The CyberCards’ robot was supposed to be able to breach defenses, cross obstacles and score on a low and high goal.

Senior Lindsey Fraley says that one of her favorite things about getting so far was being able to see and talk to the other competitors from all over the world.

“It was cool getting to see the robots that (other teams) built,” Fraley said.  “but going around the pits and actually getting to talk to the people that did get to help build the robots was more of the interesting part of the experience for me.”

Roy says he has high hopes for next year’s team and wishes to get as far, if not farther, than they did this year.